2016 "Fest" Pump (Part 2 - The After Party)

There wasn't really an after party, but boy would that have been something, right?! A party put on by Club Astros would have just been the icing on an already delicious cake that was my first journey to the jewel of the Texas Gulf Coast. Brace yourselves, fans! This will probably be my best post so far yet...

And the ride starts....NOW!

So I made a little road trip down from Fort Worth to Houston (or H-Town, as the locals call it!) for the 2016 Houston Astros Fan Fest. And while some would call it a fun time, the word FUN does not even begin to describe the enormous and epic festivities that took place at Minute Maid Park this past Saturday. Never, in my entire life, have I seen any MLB organization treat their fan base so much like members of their own family or friend circles. I've even coined that they are the "Olive Garden" of Major League Baseball, in that when you're there, you're family.

Come and join me on an adventurous and fulfilling look back at my experience at this shindig of an annual tradition....

AND AWAY, WE GO!

First up, my intro video....




And THIS, I certainly did....

 
 

The first player I ran into was none other than All Star Second Baseman, JOSE ALTUVE!


And my reaction to seeing HIM....




Seeing pitcher, COLLIN MCHUGH, getting interviewed for Twitter.

When COLBY "Jack" RASMUS got interviewed shortly afterwards.

That's right, folks! I even got to sit behind the news desk with, none other than, Kevin Eschenfelder of Root Sports Southwest! Coming at you live from the infamous Crawford Boxes! :)

So many fun things circling around Minute Maid Park that day....

A team designed SUV out in front

The team pep squad, known as the "Coca Cola Shooting Stars." Lovely gals!

They even had walkers on stilts. This organization spared no expense at all!

Even a drum line joined the party....





And the most noteworthy locations in the park....

 
Tal's Hill....         
                                                         & Bobby Dynamite's locomotive....

I expect that many a home run will be hit off of that train this season. Hopefully, by the Astros themselves, and no other visiting team.

After seeing some of the sights, it was time to get in line for my autograph session....

And wouldn't you know it, I LUCKED OUT!!!! :)

So as I was inching closer through the line....




I then approached the start of the table....



I got my souvenir custom cap autographed by all in line, that included MATT DUFFY (minor league infielder), KEN GILES - the new closer from Philly, WILL HARRIS (relief pitcher), last minute add in, MAX STASSI (backup catcher)....

This big guy here, JAKE MARISNICK (center fielder) Super cool dude!

And then, I got to see the CHAMP!

 

It was really him, folks. You're people's champion and mine, EVAN GATTIS!!!! 

What really warmed my heart was, as I was approaching him in line, he gave me a fist pump and said, "Hey Buddy, it's good to see you again." A part of my heart sank in excitement. And when I mentioned my move to Fort Worth, he even asked me how it was working out, to which I responded that it was going quite well. He said he was glad, signed my cap and my shirt (which you will see later), and shook my hand while thanking me for coming. I replied that I wouldn't have missed it for the world. 

At the very end, I even mentioned a hello greeting from his aunt and cousin (Lady D and Dandy Randy, you're both most welcome!), to which he told me to tell them hi back. Giles and Harris, both of whom were right next to Evan towards the end even asked him how so many people know him. He responded, "Access." I then told Giles and Harris about this very blog. Will Harris asked what kind of things I say about Evan on here, good or bad. I truthfully said, "Nothing but good." Evan looked over with a slight smile and nodded as he was signing something for the person behind me. Giles and Harris then signed my cap, I said thank you to them both, and went back up the stadium steps.                                                     
All of those gents in my autograph session were the kindest and most easy going men I have ever met in my entire life. Big shout outs to Evan himself, Duffy, Marisnick, Stassi, Giles and Harris, whom all I hope will read this blog entry, and future ones if they are so inclined.

Anyways, back to the next stop on my Fan Fest day....THE CLUBHOUSE TOUR!

 
The press room. The stories that have, and could come out of there. And I declare the 2016 Houston Astros to be World Series champions! :)


Where retired players put their award plaques and signature moment game balls.


The big emblem right outside the locker room.

And then of course, the locker room itself....


From top left to bottom right: Jake Marisnick, George Springer, Jason Castro, Colby Rasmus, Colin McHugh, Lance McCullers, Carlos Correa, Preston Tucker, Dallas Keuchel, Carlos Gomez, Luis Valbuena, and Jose Altuve.

Oh, did you think I forgot....

 
THE BIG WHITE BEAR'S LOCKER!!!!

Towards the end of the Fan Fest, I decided to stake out a place for the last Fan Forum of the day about Clubhouse Culture, featuring Evan, George Springer and Colby Rasmus. Needless to say, it was very packed, so I ended up standing the whole time. But it was totally worth it to capture the following videos from up near the front:


                                          When George and Colby arrived....
                                          Evan arrived fashionably late....
    But still reflected well on 2015 and going forward....

I even got the chance to ask Evan a question, which I slightly regret not getting anyone to film me asking it and his response. I inquired to him, in response to him saying in some past interviews about not being completely satisfied with how he performs in a season, as to whether or not being the club leader in so many cumulative stats was enough to take some of the pressure off of himself going forward. Here was his general answer, paraphrased:

"I can be happy about life in general and cooking dinner and what have you. But I really never will be satisfied with what I do in a season of baseball. I use that pressure as motivation. So no, I don't think I will ever take it off of myself. And I'm never going to be satisfied with what I do in a season. Maybe someday, when I end my career or at the end of my career, I can look back on things, and even if they don't all go perfectly, I can at least breathe and take some pride in knowing that I gave it all and did the best that I could."

The words of a true people's champion, if there ever was any! Once the fan forum was over, I joined a small group of folks trying to get last minute pics and autographs from the players. Though I could not locate Springer or Rasmus, I was fortunate enough to get this last minute selfie with Evan:


Even as security was pushing some folks away, Evan made an effort to honor what requests the fans had. And for the ones he could not, he told everyone thanks for coming right as he was leaving through the VIP doors. If anyone out there needs any one reason as to why I hold this man in such high esteem, THAT'S a big one! El Oso Blanco is a true paragon and genuine article to this sport and its fans!

As I walked out of the ball park and back to my car, I looked back at the sign labeled MINUTE MAID PARK. At that moment, this tremendous feeling of excitement, accomplishment, and joy flowed over me. I got to my hotel room in Houston that night, gazing at the swag I just got signed by a group of wonderful baseball players and gentlemen:

 
(That Oso Blanco shirt designed and signed by Evan himself that I promised you all earlier!)

All in all, this was one of the best experiences of my life that I will never forget. And with more good fortunes, just one of many times I hope to encounter Evan himself. Each time to be more productive than the last.

So enjoy this post, Astros Country! You all have earned this with your hospitable treatment of fans and supporters alike. Can April just get here already?! Oh, to be able to snap my fingers and magically change the seasons....

Comments

Popular Posts