Don't Look Back in Anger

The 1995 release by British super group, Oasis, gives credence to some of the sentiments I have been feeling lately. Both the Houston Astros and your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis, continue their astounding run through the 2017 regular season of Major League Baseball. And as the first half is about to come to a close with only 12 games left before the All-Star break, I wanted today's post to be about some first half reflections.

As the song title infers, despite my passions become a little heated at times, I don't really feel any ill will to the decisions of skipper Hinch. Even when it comes to playing time for El Oso Blanco. It certainly doesn't, in any way, mean that I am complacent or won't continue being critical when I need to be. I made that all to clear in my latest piece from House of Houston this morning. Check it out in the tweet below:
I will continue having my reservations about the diminished role of the bear. However, with the team winning like they have, I can safely say that things have been a lot better than what I have been dreading. Even Geoff Blummer said in a broadcast on Root Sports this weekend that, "you don't hear Evan Gattis complaining about playing or not playing. A.J. Hinch is doing a good job with what he can do in getting both of these guys out there and getting them some AB's."

Blummer certainly may be on to something here. Things that we as fans may not be normally abreast to. Perhaps the extra rest may be aiding Evan along in staying consistent with the batting average and on-base numbers? It's really hard to say. But what I can certainly appreciate is how much a good portion of the fan base still does recognize his talents. Enough so to give him the votes where he is still polling in the top 5 among DH's for the All-Star Game. The latest update came out yesterday, and is posted below:
885,391 votes. I never would have guessed that my bear buddy would have hit that kind of marker. Granted, I know it's still a long shot for him to even get in as a reserve. Nelson Cruz of the Seattle Mariners looks to be the favorite with a vote spread of nearly 600K more than Gattis. Not to mention, Edwin Encarnacion, Matt Holliday and Corey Dickerson are all well into the one million vote tally.

In spite of this, I truly believe that Evan can get to that one million vote threshold before all is said and done. And though he may not make it to the midsummer classic, a dream of mine that I still hope is one of his that will come true someday, there is still much to celebrate in knowing that Evan Gattis still has the kind of support he does. I'm a little bummed that his #BearSquared brother, Brian McCann has lost some ground, sliding down to 3rd place among AL catchers.

But all is well, that ends well. When the dust settles, this catching duo will be standing tall. Additionally, they can brag not only about their stats of being 1st in OPS and 3rd in home runs, RBI and slugging among all catchers, but also that they are apart of a team with the best shot at getting that world title. Not even many of the players polling the highest in the ASG ballot can say the exact same thing.

Nor can any other catcher in the league claim to have THIS special duo characteristic:
All the team has to do is go 8-4 to get to 60 wins before the All Star Break, according to a tweet sent out by MLB Network beat reporter, Brian McTaggart. Given what has happened so far this season, that is incredibly doable for this club. BMac and Gatty will continue being a big part of what gets this club even further than originally predicted. In keeping the emotions in check, so long as my #BearSquared buddies get to be kept around to enjoy this run, I will certainly continue to cheer this team onto victory. Even if there are times where I may not agree with what is going on, I know it will get this team and city the championship it has long yearned for and deserved.

So finish strong, spacemen! Then you all, minus George Springer, Carlos Correa and Jose Altuve who all lead in their respective positions for the All Star team, can get the much needed rest that you all have "earned." LATE EDIT: Evan Gattis will be serving as DH at batting cleanup tonight against the Oakland Athletics. OH, HAPPY DAY!!!!

Original Photo Credit: Brian McTaggart on Twitter

Two days left to try and vote these two in to the All Star Game, ladies and gentlemen. LET'S DO THIS!!!!

Shop for official Houston Astros fan gear from Majestic, Nike and New Era at Shop.MLB.com

Comments

Popular Posts