Gattis in Wonderland

Before I get too far into today's post, yes, I am referencing the Lewis Carrol literary classic and corresponding Disney films. However, no, I am not doing this as a means of belittling your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis for what transpired yesterday. Additionally, I'm just now realizing that today is 420, and perhaps it is situational irony taking over for what we collectively know about the bear-bull's past AND the famed Carrol tale. But I digress, it's time to provide some context for those that don't already know what happened against the divisional rival, Seattle Mariners yesterday.

Here's the scoop: Evan Gattis hit a check swing at a pitch that he didn't like. It grounded towards Kyle Seager at third base to get out Jose Altuve. He then threw it to Robinson Cano at second base to get out Carlos Correa. Anger began to take hold of El Oso Blanco for swinging at said hit. Not realizing that it was only 2 outs at the time, he began trotting back to the dugout. There in lied the dilemma. Since he abandoned the first base bag, he unintentionally put himself back in play. First baseman for the Mariners, Daniel Vogelbach, applied the tag to Gattis, causing a rare Triple Play on a base running gaffe and all around brain fart.

Below, you will find the video of what transpired. This, in addition to some close call comebackers hit to the mound versus both starting pitchers yesterday, is just among some of the rare oddities creeping around at Safeco Field. Be warned: What you are about to see is not at all pretty. Viewer Discretion is Advised! (And yes, I did just go there!)


Everyone out there knows full well about my unconditional loyalty to the bear. But when I saw this, even I had to break out the face palms. My heart sank down into my chest, and I was trying to tell myself that there was no way this could have happened. No way did we just witness something like this happening. Here is a GIF rendering of my reaction to this yesterday:


What seemed like confusion and day dreaming on the part of Gattis was actually built up frustration and anger that led to the eventual gaffe. As he explained it to the Houston Chronicle, he just allowed his stress to get the better of him. Here are some takeaway quotes from him:
"It was just a mistake," Gattis said. "I knew how many outs there were. I was really mad at the pitch I swung at and really mad about grounding into a double play. And I really don't have anything to say, I don't really know why I started running into the dugout."
"I think I got so mad I couldn't think straight."
Skipper A.J. Hinch was just as equally angry, telling reporters after the game that he "didn't really want to talk about it." In all honesty, it wouldn't surprise me if this cost's Gattis a spot in the lineup tonight. I would hope that wouldn't be the case, but would understand and accept it if it did. This is just one of those plays that there is absolutely no excuse for. I mean, that's one of the biggest fundamentals taught to a player when they are younger.

Nevertheless, one thing that I think all fans can admire is him taking responsibility for it. After all, that Chron article also said that he arrived in the clubhouse and bellowed to his teammates as to whether or not they wanted to talk about the triple play. Quite frankly, I would not have wanted to be on the Astros roster in that particular circumstance. If someone with the physique of Gattis bellowed anything at me, I'd be running for the hills seeking sanctuary and shelter somewhere.

It is important to note, however, that this was a mistake that is in the past now. A Momentary Lapse of Reason, if you will, as well as judgement. Anyone that would want to bring it up beyond today would just be a fire starter that had no business saying anything at all. Because clearly, it wouldn't be anything nice to say. We all know the golden rule. Some of us just need to start being better about applying it to their own lives, as well as the lives of those around them. It goes a lot farther than you might think.

Original Photo Credit: Lindsey Wasson of Getty Images

Even Heroes Can Stumble at Times!

Shop the Houston Astros Gold Program at MLBShop.com

Comments

Popular Posts