Ready, Player One

I realize that I have been away for quite some time. This summer has been a bit hectic for me in more ways than one. I vow to do my best to be better about posting more here, assuming that the chaos can die down for a while. Only time will tell on that, but just like anyone else, I can only do what I can do. I'm sure you all feel the same exact way.

Additionally, we've all been feeling some great things about our Houston Astros lately. They came up big in the All-Star Game, thanks to George Springer and Sundance Kid himself, Alex Bregman. The ESPYS recognized them as the best team of the past year. On top of all that, they have a comfortable 5 game lead in the AL West division over the Seattle Mariners. These last 63 games will be ones to keep eyes on. Trade deadlines, roster expansions, and the health of the players will all factor into how the spacemen finish it all out.

The unsung hero through all of this has been none other than your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis. Unfortunately, he ended up missing another midsummer classic. It was disappointing, to say the least. But life does go on. And according to a tweet he sent out just prior to the Home Run Derby, it appears that El Oso Blanco was spending his break up north away from this heat. Good thing too, because I don't have to tell any of you readers in the Lone Star state exactly how brutal this heat has been.

But I digress, the Astros will look to stay red hot through round 2 of the season. And just like in the new epic film from Steven Speilberg, all characters involved will put up quite the fight to defend what is rightfully theirs. The bear and the cub, referring to Gattis and Bregman who are arguably the offensive ex-factors so far in 2018, will continue being a huge part of that run for the team to get back to back titles. Bregman has been especially welcoming, as I highlight in my latest HOH piece on his ASG performance.

However, I would urge folks to remember exactly what Gattis has done for this team as well. He may not be the spotlight guy that Bregman is, but he does damage in a humbling way. He is a silent working class hero on this Astros squad, and while he may not be big into hype, I still feel it necessary to give him the credit he deserves by continuing to remind folks that he exists and is doing well.

Yes, he slumped a bit prior to the All Star Break. But he is still on pace to have at least a 30/100 season in homers and RBI. That far exceeds the 25/85 that I predicted for him at the start of 2018. I truly believe that he will quietly and continually prove people wrong about him. He does have value, and he doesn't have to have superstar numbers on either side of the ball to do so.

Let the second half of the 2018 season commence!

Original Photo Credit: Bob Levey of Getty Images

The bear is ready to hunt and pounce on some opposing pitchers!

Shop the All-Star Game Collection at MLBshop.com

Comments

Popular Posts