Good Times, Bad Times (We All Have Had Our Share)

Now that the Led Zeppelin reference is over, today's entry talks about just that lately for both the Houston Astros and your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis.

First, the Good Times:

The Houston Astros got their 50th win of the season yesterday to secure another road series victory against the division rival Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field. This was also the first series back post-All Star Break, and things are continuing to trend in the upward direction on the quest to retake the West. (Honestly, didn't realized I rhymed until after I typed this, and had to give myself a figurative pat on the back!)

In addition, the club also has prospects in Alex Bregman, and a new international signing in Cuban All Star, Yulieski Gurriel. Both of these men appear to factor into what the lineup may soon look like heading into August and as September call-ups loom large. Being only 4.5 games behind the Texas Rangers, when they were originally 11 games back at one point just last month, makes for an easier run at getting that AL West Pennant than was originally thought.

But with the talk surrounding these two players also brings with it the anxiety of questions surrounding which everyday players are going to get less playing time as a result.

Which leads me to the second part of this post: The Bad Times.

Readers, let me say one thing before I continue. My loyalty and devotion to the people's champion, Evan Gattis, will always be unwavering of anything. Now that I've covered that, I also cannot sugar coat the following truth. And that is this; Evan Gattis is not playing his best baseball right now. Even typing that last sentence brought distressing tears to my eyes. And seeing THIS tweet from Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports didn't help matters any:

If I were the Astros, I'd personally limit Reed after another few games, since he can't seem to get that average up above .160 so far. I mean, Gattis is posting a career low BA right now of only .215 and has only 36 RBI on the season. And while the the 13 dingers will have him on pace to have another 20+ HR season, the fact remains that the overall average has got to come up somehow. He may still be in that slump, and it may appear bleak, but I have every last bit of faith in this entire universe that Evan Gattis is gonna turn it around. AND SOON! All he has to do is find some more plate discipline and patience, and he'll be all set.

I still hold the very constructive opinions of my previous posts that Evan Gattis will take over as starting catcher in 2017. Once that happens we will really see the offensive numbers tick up. He just needs to return to his natural position and get that DH label shed off of him. Jason Castro, while a solid player, is not worth the money he will command as a free agent to re-sign when you already have a quality starter in Gattis.

Another thing that rarely gets mentioned from some of these beat writers is the large amount of trust the pitching staff has in El Oso Blanco. So much, in fact, that numerous post game interviews have seen the starting pitchers give a lot of their success credit to Gattis for the games he calls back there. Colin McHugh is among the starters that can't stop raving about when Gattis is backstop for him. You can even see his post game interview from yesterday here.

So Astros fans, just I like I do constantly, I advise that you not give up on Gattis. His turn around is coming. I can feel it!


Photo Credit: Thomas B. Shea of USA Today Sports

Very soon, Evan Gattis' frown will be turned upside down. These Houston Astros, including closer Will Harris pictured above, know that he will be key for the future of this club AND towards that ever surging journey for the coveted AL West Pennant!


Comments

Popular Posts