Just My Lone Star Luck

Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer. Unfortunately, so too is the unofficial end of the Houston Astros hopes for a division title. The spacemen lost 2 out of 3 games this weekend to in-state division rival, and all around whipping bullies, the Texas Rangers. What's even worse is that I had to be there for the most intense of the two loses on Saturday. In that contest, the Rangers beat up on them in a routing final score of 12-4. The Astros now find themselves 9.5 games back in the AL West division with only 25 games left to play. The best thing they can hope for right now is to nab a wild card spot and sneak their way into October baseball, barring any kind of epic collapse by the Texas Rangers. (Straight from this screen to God's eyes. Am I right, H-Town?!)

For those that may be wondering, my personal record on games attended by me so far for the Astros stands as such:

At Minute Maid Park: 1-0 (1.000 winning percentage)
At Globe Life Park: 0-2 (.000 winning percentage)

A personal .333 winning percentage for the team isn't exactly what I was hoping for. There were a handful of silver linings in the dark clouds of this weekend, however. The team did salvage a win yesterday to avoid the sweep, which is pretty much a moral victory and confidence booster in and of itself. The victory also came against the likes of flame throwing righty, Yu Darvish, of all the pitchers on the Rangers' staff.

Oh, and then there were THESE nice beauties!:

    

These are two home runs that your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis hit this past weekend in Arlington off of LHP Derek Holland and RHP out of the bullpen, Nick Martinez to give him 24 of those on the 2016 season. I was fortunate enough to be there for #23 on his season captured in the first video clip. His legend continues to grow. And, of course, so do his numbers! Here's the latest:

On Offense (Stellar!)
Last 7 Games: .333/.414/.750 (1.164 OPS!)
Last 15 Games: .375/.466/.792 (1.258 OPS!)
Last 30 Games: .330/.390/.585 (.975 OPS!)
In the month of September so far: .333/.357/.833 (1.190 OPS!)
Post All Star Break/2nd Half of the Season: .307/.372/.607 (.979 OPS!)
WAR (wins above replacement): 2.3
wRC+(weighted runs created plus): 114, which is 15 more than last season as a full time DH!

On defense (Average to above average!)
Catcher's ERA: 3.45 (MLB average: 3.9)
Caught Stealing Ratio: 52% (MLB average: 30%)
oStr%: 7.7% (MLB average: 7.2%)
zBall%: 12.3% (MLB average: 14.5%)

Stats courtesy of MLB.com, ESPN.com, and StatCorner.com's Catcher Report!

But something else interesting I should share with you folks is the offensive slash line of Evan when I attend games he plays in. Bear in mind, this is a small sample size of only 4 games that also dates back to one game in 2014 when he was with the Atlanta Braves:

.467/.500/1.267 (1.767 OPS!) 2 doubles, 3 singles, 3 homers & a walk! Winning percentage in those games: .500

I'm gonna rub my ego just a little bit and say that I just might be a potential good luck charm for El Oso Blanco! Granted, I do know the numbers will not always be this perfect at all the games that I'm at. But if history is any indication, my presence may be just the thing to energize the power of the Big White Bear that we all know that he possesses a great deal of. Just casually throwing this piece of info out there!

Oddly enough, I did get another chance to meet up with Evan briefly before the game. We shook a hands a couple of times, and he even greeted and addressed me by my first name! That part really made my heart soar, because it lets me know that what I am doing with this blog and lifting him up with the short amount of media power I do have is paying off AND that he knows and remembers me and my work enough! While I may not have gotten an updated selfie with him due to him needing to get back to practice, I did, however, succeed in one venture. And that was, I was able to give him my business card and let him know about the movie script I wrote on his harrowing life story and journey to the majors. He seemed pretty receptive to the whole thing.

Now, on a more personal note, I don't expect things to happen so quickly. In fact, I am a firm believer in the old saying that, "Patience is a virtue." I exercise this phrase on a daily basis. But I feel very confident that by doing my part to gain and earn trust from Evan and those around him, that I will not only be someone that can be of service to him, but perhaps, even someone he can depend on as a possible friend down the road. Evan, if you're reading this, that offer has no expiration date, and I'm always available for you, dude! You got all my details now, so never hesitate to use it!

Of course, there will always be those folks constantly wanting to label me with words like "creepy," "obsessive" and "stalker." But you know what? I'm not gonna let those people deter me from what I'm trying to build. I'm not gonna let them tear me down, or ruin anything positive I attempt to always create with any negativity they try to throw at me. I'm gonna be strong! Just as strong as Evan when he crushes those homers! I'm a creator, not a destroyer! And any attempts to destroy me will be met with the fierce strength of a bear, the same as Evan Gattis is!

    THIS inspirational bear should always be celebrated, and not jeered!

Shop for official Houston Astros fan gear from Majestic, Nike and New Era at Shop.MLB.com

Comments

Popular Posts