Don't You....Forget About Him!

Let me start by saying that this will be my final post for 2016. I plan to keep myself busy through the remainder of the holidays with other things. In some cases, I will mainly just be resting and trying to enjoy myself, despite it being the first holidays away from family. If any of them are reading this, just know that even though I won't be home this season, I love you all very much.

Now that the rest of you are probably gagging at how sentimental I just got, let me get back to baseball, which is why most of you read my blog anyways. I think the well known theme song from The Breakfast Club performed by Simple Minds is a good reminder that 2016 was not very kind to a lot of us, most especially the Houston Astros. There is no one single cause for why this past year went the way it did. However, there are many speculations. Anything from the legitimacy of the health of the starting rotation, to superstitious nonsense like the Sports Illustrated cover.

In spite of the team falling short of the playoffs, your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis did have himself quite the year. El Oso Blanco broke offensive single season records in the following categories, indicating just how much less of a free swinger and more of a disciplined hitter he has become:

Home Runs: 32
On-Base Percentage (OBP): .319
Slugging Percentage (SLG): .508
Combined On-Base Plus Slugging (OPS): .827
Walk % rate: 8.7 (Was averaging 6.3% before then)
WAR (wins above replacement): 3.0 

While also having some solid numbers on defense behind the plate:

Catcher's ERA (CERA): 3.44
oStr% (pitches caught outside the strike zone that are called strikes): 8.0
+calls (favorable calls): 36 total (.75 per game)
RAA (runs above average): 4.8

Once he gets a full spring training under his belt come next February, which he didn't have due to the hernia surgery recovery that has seen him with no health issues since, he will surprise folks with his work on both sides of the ball. Gattis will have the opportunity to work on that blocking, which was his only real weakness on defense. I foresee that weakness quickly turning into more a strength in 2017.

But let us not forget how much of an asset the Big White Bear was this past year. MVPFLF on YouTube certainly hasn't:


I still take pride in the fact that I was there for both Gnome Night homers, and the 23rd one he hit in Arlington last September. Speaking of the gnome night, here is my catching the first one live. Certainly, my biggest 2016 highlight!


How much playing time Evan will get next season still remains the biggest mystery heading into 2017. Eric Huysman of Climbing Tal's Hill and his co-host of Talking Stros, Brandon Del Castillo will be asking the skipper this question on their show tonight. Eric even poised the question on CTH yesterday.

The hope is that A.J. Hinch will continue to, as always, create something special for all of us to see with this talented group of young men. I have faith that this will continue, especially with the acquisitions and signings of Reddick, McCann, Beltran and Aoki that have already been made. With all of this in mind, however, Hinch and the rest of the Houston Astros organization and management need to take heed of this:

Original Photo Credit: Sarah Crabill of Getty Images

Don't You....Forget About Him!!!!

Shop for official Houston Astros fan gear from Majestic, Nike and New Era at Shop.MLB.com

Image result for christmas tree emoji

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays, Everyone! See You in 2017!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts