An All Star Cast!

Cinematic euphemisms are my specialty, readers. You can probably already tell from how much I mention being an aspiring screenwriter. Nothing has changed in that regard, as I continue to pursue my dreams of Hollywood. It's easy to see why a film like "La La Land" was one that I can easily relate to about following your dreams to their fullest, and not letting anything or anyone stop you.

That's what has happened with your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis. If you have been living in a cave the past 4 years and don't yet know about his story, I implore upon you to watch THIS documentary on his harrowing and unconventional journey to the majors. As some media analysts have said, it is a story made for Hollywood. And who better to tell that story in an on-screen dramatization than yours truly? Honestly....

But let's turn the attention to something else that I have dreamed about on occasion. I'm about to get real deep again, readers. If this isn't your thing, feel free to return to your regularly scheduled internet activities. You'll neither help nor harm in doing so.

Here's the thing. El Oso Blanco is in his 5th season in the majors. In that time he has had 105 home runs and 296 RBI. 2014 and 2016 have been his best years so far across the board offensively, with 2016 being his best to date defensively. The Big White Bear constantly gives his all, both on and off the field. In the process, he does everything to "Earn It."

With all of this in mind, can anyone really give any sort of legitimate reasons for him NOT to be in the midsummer classic that doesn't involve any of the phrases such as "he's a limited, one-dimensional player" or "he only has occasional pop" or "his defense is atrocious?" Can anyone out there provide any kind of sound argument that really illustrates anything that Evan Gattis DOESN'T deserve, including a chance to appear in the All Star Game?
The answer to all of these questions is no. Gattis isn't a perfect player, but he is certainly well above average. Surely, I cannot be the only person that believes this to be so. But when I'm immediately attacked with nothing but flawed advanced stats or gullible online trolls, it can be incredibly discouraging. It almost does make me feel like I'm alone sometimes in promoting the positive rather than dwelling on the few negatives. Minus his family, friends and wife, of course!

Unfortunately, people tend to use this against me like there has to be something wrong with me. Bringing up things like my sexual orientation, or sometimes even this very blog, to discredit me is something I have to endure a little too much. But I continue to do so even now, for both my sake as well as for Evan's. Just yesterday, I even made it a point to correct a fantasy writer for stating, incorrectly, that Evan was not in yesterday's series finale lineup against the Detroit Tigers.

Brian McCann will be activated on Saturday, meaning Juan Centeno will likely be sent back to the minors after giving one hell of a performance on both sides of the ball the past couple of days. Evan will also, most likely, return to his backup role for the spacemen. I've already made the argument that the team should consider carrying 3 catchers next season and cut the chord with Carlos Beltran. Of course, that argument is not completely immune to the hostility that some fans have shown me already. But that's a story for another time.

While some would call my loyalty to the bear obnoxious, I see it as libel/slander prevention. Calling out the "fake news," if you will. Others can feel how they want to about my passions for Evan Gattis, but I really don't care anymore. I've never really cared that much to begin with, except to say that some can be exceedingly annoying about it. But no more! This is who I am, love me or leave me, but don't ever try and stop me!

At the end of the day, Evan Gattis is a much better player than given credit for. Without a doubt, the most underrated player in the entire league, not just on the Houston Astros roster. As much as the CDH (critics, doubters and haters) crowd tries to come at him, I will always be there to defend him from such nonsense. I will constantly rebuke any and all attempts to smear or discredit either him, or myself. Not only will I make my own dreams come true, but I will continue to be apart of making Evan Gattis' dreams soar even higher towards All Star Games, World Series appearances, and even, dare I say, a spot in Cooperstown some day!

So yes, fans. He deserves this! And we owe it to him as fans to help make it happen. Evan's soft spoken nature of things does not mean that he lacks the same passions that any other player would have in this sport. He merely has a different way of showing it. Let us now show him exactly how valuable he is. Cast as many votes for these Astros players as possible. While you're at it, #VOTEGATTIS for the 2017 All Star Game! It will be one of the best decisions you will ever make.

 Original Photo Credit: Astros Radio on Twitter

El Oso Blanco keeps "earning" All Star Game votes. Let's do our part and get out there to rock those votes, fans!!!!

Shop for official Houston Astros fan gear from Majestic, Nike and New Era at Shop.MLB.com

Comments

Popular Posts