Masters of the Universe!

Before starting today's post, I want to send my thoughts and prayers to those down in Sutherland Springs and surrounding areas of Texas after the vicious and cowardice attack that happened on Sunday. 

Additionally, and on a more positive note, I also want to wish a special happy birthday to my big sister, Melissa. She is now and always a Princess Leia in my eyes.

And now....here we go!

They did it, ladies and gentlemen! The Houston Astros are 2017 World Series Champions! No, this isn't a dream. You're not seeing things, and this is not a drill. They bested the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 7 to take home the commissioner's trophy. History has been both earned and made by the spacemen, and it is absolutely glorious!

So not surprisingly, as far as choosing an appropriate post title, I came up with my favorite cult classic film of all time. Released back in the summer of 1987, the live action He-Man flick that stared Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella bombed at the box office and caused it's production company, Cannon Films, to go bankrupt. Additionally, it was the first film to be based off a popular 80's cartoon that started out as just a line of toys. Ones that I enjoyed as a kid myself, no less. The film was very unfaithful to that cartoon and story. However, since it's transition to various video and streaming formats, it has become an instant classic that is even being rumored to get a reboot in 2019.

Back to baseball, now. Symbolically, with the Houston Astros winning their first world title in franchise history, they truly have become masters of the baseball universe in their own right. No doubt, they are probably all feeling that way right about now. So much so, in fact, that Jose Altuve made quite the appearance on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon the very next night after the victory. There was even this tweet of him backstage with the some of the cast of Stranger Things:
Tapping into that all star power, if you ask me. But still, such a site to see. Altuve, along with George Springer and Alex Bregman, even appeared on Saturday Night Live. Additionally, Bregman stuck around the Big Apple to give an interview on Good Morning America with Robin Roberts. Carlos Correa also appeared with Springer and Altuve down at Disney World in Florida for the Magic Kingdom parade. You can watch all the weekend action that unfolded in all of the links above.

Needless to say, all of them are on top of the world right now! Every last player on this roster will always have and own a tiny little piece of my heart. And trust me, it is a big enough heart to go around! These fellas set out to do what many said they couldn't, which was to win it all. I couldn't feel more happier and proud of every last one of them than I do right at this very moment of me writing this post.

That also includes your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis. He's not only the people's champion anymore, but an actual world champion with the ring and trophy to prove it. So without further ado, here are some highlights from the World Series, including the Game 7 victory and parade centered around good ol' El Oso Blanco!

First, his pre-Game 6 appearance on MLB Network's "Intentional Talk":



Fitting that the above interview was conducted on Halloween. A time for the well known prankster to provide us with even more jokes. I smell either network commentary, stand up, or Hollywood in his future. Not to mention, I actually have the screenplay on his life written up already. In fact, I actually took it upon myself to put out my own tweet to help get the word out. You folks can check that out below:
But I digress, back to the World Series. The emotion of it was caught the best by Fox TV cameras and still shots. Taking from it, many out in the social media world were able to capture the most touching moment of all, when Evan Gattis gave teammate and future Hall of Fame inductee, Carlos Beltran, a winning embrace. The following tweet below said it best:

The American dream doesn't even come close to describing Evan Gattis. His rags to riches story embodies life itself. When the going got tough for Evan, he fought his way through it all. Much in the same way that so many of us are right now, and that includes your's truly. If there is one thing that Gattis has shown us, and there are a ton more things than that, it's that life really is what you make it. Things don't have to be left up to chance or fate, and you can actually make your dreams come true.

This is just one of the many reasons I have held, and will continue to hold, Evan Gattis in such high regard and esteem. In fact, in a slideshow of pics highlighting him and the World Series victory and parade, you will see towards the end a note I wrote on Facebook about all of it. So much emotion and words about this high point cannot even fit this page. If it did, it would span over multiple posts. And even then, it wouldn't come close to showing how much of the world I think and feel for the bear.

Evan, I do hope you will get to read this, because I want to express how truly proud of you I am. I know you're gonna hear it from so many, and hopefully mine won't get lost in the shuffle. But it's true, the amount of happiness I am feeling for you and yours cannot even be measured on any scale known to human kind. I make it my solemn promise and commitment to you and your kin to always doing everything on my part to help elevate you even further than you are right now. That includes, among other things, having my screenplay and hopeful eventual movie to do your life story the justice it deserves.

Congratulations to the entire Houston Astros team for their well earned and deserved victory. This certainly won't be the last time you guys win this thing. Everyone's gonna try to come and take that title from you, but I am more than confident that you gents will defend it emphatically. Doubters will try to come at you with everything they have. But as this past postseason showed us, y'all are more than able to prove them wrong.

As the old Eternian saying goes from the He-Man movie: "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." No matter where you guys are in 2018 and beyond, you have the love of a city, a fan base, and most especially, me. From now until the end of time, you fellas will always be the masters of all of our collective universes. And that's nothing to feel shabby about at all. Thank you for earning history for all of us. Now, go live it up!

Original Photo Credits: Tim Warner of Getty Images (Gattis, Left) and Brett Coomer of the Houston Chronicle (Team, Right)

THEY HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts