You Might Think

Being that I have declared myself as the 80's personified, I can think of no better thing to reference for my post title than the popular song by new wave band, The Cars. The band released this song in 1984, and it's groundbreaking video won the very first MTV VMA award for Video of the Year that same year. When you can beat out the likes of Michael Jackson's "Thriller," you must have done something right! The song itself is a reflection of how crazy things can get sometimes, even if it involves swooning over that special someone.

For me, nothing shows more craziness than the baseball off season. All of the rumors and talk of moves are very cleverly named "the hot stove." Ironic, because most of us are firing off our own hot stoves to make some awesome dinners tomorrow for Thanksgiving. Just like the turkeys that will be stuffed, all of the news surrounding whatever decisions teams across MLB decide to make, including the Houston Astros, will all feel like a feast of an overload after a while. Unfortunately, we will have to deal with that all the way through when Spring Training begins in February, at the very least.

One rumor that has already circulated is whether or not the team truly is interested in free agent catcher, Jonathan Lucroy. He's a Louisiana fella that does not live too far from Houston, and has some pretty even keeled numbers across his career. He's looking to build up his value as best as possible. Early speculation is that Jeff Luhnow and the Astros front office could look at him as a target to better build up the catching core.

It's not like it really needs it. The BMac, Brian McCann, has been leading the pitching staff pretty well. Additionally, your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis, has been serving well as his right handed hitting complement to him, and has held his own back behind the plate. Yes, both struggled to throw out runners, but at the same time, they were both very pivotal in creating the kind of wins the team got on the defensive side of things.

No surprise, amidst all the talk of Lucroy, El Oso Blanco was the one that many of the armchair GM's out there across the internet were ready to label as trade bait. Citing his final arbitration season before he becomes a free agent next winter, Gattis had to, once again, suffer the wrath and merciless endeavors of the trolling ignoramuses. Apparently, everyone thinks that there is some big need at DH that the bear can't fulfill, and that the team should spend even more money to go out and sign a free agent bat. Jay Bruce and Carlos Santana are among the names mentioned for that.

As per usual, I had to come and save the day with some real talk about the bull-bear. I used my powers for good by way of another House of Houston article. You can read it by clicking on the tweet below:
Let me put it to you like this, folks. Jeff Luhnow gave up a lot from the depth in the minor leagues to get Gattis from the Atlanta Braves in the first place. When he did so, he was not just looking at the four controllable years he had left when coming over in 2015. To suggest or think otherwise is just plain gullibility. While he may not necessarily get a qualifying offer extended to him from the team next winter, it also does not mean that they will just automatically tell him to hit the bricks.

Do remember too, free agency allows any and all teams to make offers to Gattis when the time comes. Some may not know this, or choose to ignore it, but that means the Astros can also make a bid for him to retain his services as well. It's not beyond the realm of possibility to postulate that he could be extended at some point soon, and at the very least, by the end of next winter. Obviously, we have to wait and see how things end up.

In the meantime, back to the upcoming 2018 season. According to a new article put out by Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle, the Astros organization has cleared up two questions: Why they were checking in on Lucroy, and what there plan is for Evan Gattis. I analyzed all of that in yet another House of Houston piece below:
For those not wanting to read the article, let me point out to you two distinct quotes that Kaplan got Jeff Luhnow on record saying about Evan Gattis shifting back to full time DH:
"We needed (Gattis) to catch this year, and he did. He did a nice job of it," Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow told the Chronicle last week during the GM meetings in Orlando, Fla. "I think we'll have some options for backup catcher next year that will allow Gattis to primarily be a DH and third catcher, which is probably ultimately the best role for him."
So there you have it. The issue is settled, and arguments can now be over. Those that have been griping and complaining about this decision need to begin embracing this idea. I have faith in Evan Gattis, so do many others out there, including Mr. Luhnow. In fact, here was the second quote he stated from that same article:
"You saw the power production went down a little bit this year. I don't know how much of that was due to the fact that he was catching as much as he was. But he's got 30 homers in there somewhere, and he hit for a higher average, and he's drawing walks," Luhnow said. "He's doing a lot of things toward becoming a complete player, and he could be one of the elite DHs in the game next year."
Folks, it does not get much more clearer than this. You heard it straight from the GM's mouth. He's not giving up on the bear, and has faith that he will round himself out by the time his free agency is due. If Jeff Luhnow, A.J. Hinch, his teammates, coaches and organization staff have this much faith in him, then we as fans should be willing to do so as well. So to the CDH (critics, doubters and haters) crowd, I say this to you now: Evan Gattis is a World Series Champion, so YOU LOSE!

Was that a little harsh? Perhaps, but it was certainly needed. What has also been needed lately is something that I have put off for long enough. And that is, working on perfecting my screenplays. This roller coaster of an Astros championship season has diverted my attention away from the very dream of my own that I am trying to accomplish. Don't get me wrong, next to the 1995 Atlanta Braves, the 2017 Houston Astros will be among my favorite baseball teams of all time. Ones where those players will always own pieces of my big heart until the day I die.

But I must confess, I still have some work to do to achieve my dream of writing for the motion pictures. So with that in mind, I announce that this will be my last entry for a while, as I take a sabbatical from The White Bear Chronicles for a little bit. I will still chime in with any breaking news that may happen with the team, or Evan himself via House of Houston. However, my fleeting posts will be limited until Spring Training. I need to focus on my screenwriting, and this is the best way to do it.

This is far from goodbye, ladies and gentlemen. This is just me trying to shift my focus where it needs to be right now, since baseball is over for the next 2-3 months roughly. It should be more than enough time for me to polish up my 3 screenplays, including the one I have written about the harrowing life journey of Evan Gattis. But only time will tell. I wish all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or whatever else you celebrate during this time of year. Let's meet back here in 2018, ready to defend that World Series Title.

We got this, Astros fans! Much love to all of you readers out there!

Original Photo Credit: Troy Taormina of USA Today Sports

Let's Hear the Applause for Our World Champions, Folks!
   

Comments

Popular Posts