Astros Spring Training Game 1 Highlights + Flashback Friday

Game 1 Final: PHI 3; HOU 6

In a resounding victory yesterday, the Houston Astros topped the Philadelphia Phillies in their Spring Training opener at Osceola County Stadium. Defensively, Colin McHugh put up 3K's in 2 innings, and top pitching prospect Mark Appel, though he gave up 2 runs, got the win yesterday.

The main offensive highlights were from outfielder, Robbie Grossman (2 for 3, .667) and projected 3B starter, Luis Valbuena (2 for 2, 1.000) Springer, Dominiguez, Presley, Castro, Singleton, Stassi, and Petit all tallied up hits in the debut as well.

Noticeably absent from Game 1 were Jose Altuve, Colby Rasmus, and yes, Evan Gattis, who left training early Monday with dehydration. While skipper AJ Hinch insists that nothing serious came from Evan's bout, The White Bear Chronicles will, of course, keep you readers informed of any of the latest developments. Sitting out game 1 was surely a smart move, since Hinch's strategy is to ease his starters into Spring Training games. Possibly good news for Gattis on that front.



And now to the fun stuff....



I figured, since I missed "Throwback Thursday" yesterday, I would delight you fans with a "Flashback Friday" post today, displaying some old photos of Evan and his progression to the big leagues.


Enjoy!







An old high school yearbook photo? How did this get in here?
 
His Twitter pic, ever the classic, of him during his janitor years. From sweeping floors to sweeping balls out of parks!
 
Evan and his stepbrother, Drew Kendrick, playing college baseball at UTPB. The photographer wanted to do a movie poster inspired style. Nicely done!
 
Coming up through the Atlanta Braves system. Memories....
 
Still kind of miss him wearing that Tomahawk. But hey, Braves' loss is the Astros gain, I say!
 
Evan playing winter ball in Venezuela in 2012.
 
The beginning of many great things to come!
 
At the MLB Fan Cave in 2013, shooting a Secret Agent trailer. Highly recommend giving that a look, if you haven't already!
From that same shoot. He may have an acting and/or broadcasting career lined up post-baseball, I believe!
 
Evan with his little league coach, Tommy Hernandez at a game at Turner Field in 2013.
 
Evan hosting one of many camps for kids in Atlanta. Here's hoping the tradition continues in Houston!




The man often manages to put a smile on his face when being interviewed. Got to love it!
 
Last year at Spring Training 2014. Great memories!
 
Even after the trade, he still made time to send some birthday cards to some Braves fans. Such a champ in every sense of the word! Here's what they say, from what I could read:

On the left: Dear Tate, Happy Birthday! Sorry I am not a Brave anymore, but I'm thankful for your support. - Evan Gattis

On the right: Dear Trey, Happy Birthday, buddy! I'm sorry I'm not a Brave anymore but I hope you like baseball just as much. Well, good luck and Go Braves! (Except when playing the Astros!) 



And now that we've traveled to the past, here is the present and future Evan Gattis with the Houston Astros! (What is hoping to be a long time in baseball!)














The White Bear goes fly"ball" fishing! (See what I did there?)
 
Another picture day photo of him. One fantasy site said it best: "Evan Gattis will stare into your soul....and BREAK IT!" LOL




Embedded image permalink
Evan getting special instruction from former Astro, Lance Berkman.
 
A White Bear should NEVER be caged!!!!
 
Nothing is more inspiring in this world to me than to see this man, and all he has been through, take to BP like the All Star he is, and always will be. I can't wait until I can see that in person again in the near future. No disrespect to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, but Evan Gattis is the living embodiment of a true people's champion. 

I could write an entire book about how wonderful Evan Gattis really is. And, if I'm to be so lucky, maybe I'll be fortunate enough and able to have the opportunity to help him write his autobiography one day. In the meantime, I will continue to do all I can to help him succeed, despite him already doing so without my help. My hope is this blog, and the one of many screenplays I'm attempting to pitch to Hollywood, is making him proud and is somewhat of a start to showing how loyal I will always remain to Evan and the game he plays.

Comments

Popular Posts