Opening Night, and the Braves Empire Has Fallen!

It is done. In the biggest surprise since trading Evan Gattis, the Atlanta Braves nailed the coffin of their 2015 season, and probably many more after that, by trading Craig Kimbrel (and somehow miraculously Melvin Upton Jr. as well) to the San Diego Padres. What did they get in return? You guessed it: MORE PROSPECTS!

I feel bad for you remaining Braves fans out there, and especially the Kimbrel fans, like me. You all now know how much of a stab in the heart I got when they sent Evan Gattis to Houston. Quite frankly, I'm embarrassed to even still be living in this city with all of the bad things happening to our sports teams, minus the Hawks. Here's hoping the get to the NBA championship. I feel they can, and I don't even watch basketball.

But know this, Braves Country. When the baseball world handed me a barrel of lemons in the form of the Gattis trade, I did anything but continuing to sulk. I took them and made the best damn metaphorical lemonade ever, all in the form of the fantasy update beat articles for the Houston Astros that I now write. I made the effort to follow my favorite players wherever they went. Now, in addition to the Astros whom are my main go-to team, I am now simultaneously and mildly rooting for the Padres and Cardinals in the wake of these astounding players the Braves once had going elsewhere. In baseball, I believe, like Evan Gattis does, that good players draw people more to baseball games then entire teams do. I believe the latter aspect applies more consistently with football and basketball. I also am a firm believer in good will and compassion triumphing over business acquisitions. For fans, any and all player moves will ALWAYS be personal!

So good luck to you, Braves fans. Every cloud does have a silver lining. For me, it was actively writing for the team smart enough to have my favorite player and all around great guy on their roster. I'm sure you all will find some way to cope. But for now, enjoy this clip of Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester on Glee, which I think should sum up how Freddie Freeman, of all people, is probably thinking about all of this right now....




YOU WILL NEVER SEE TURNER FIELD THIS FULL EVER AGAIN. AND THE STORM CLOUDS GATHER OVER ATLANTA....

Comments

Popular Posts