Rough Start for the Spacemen....AND El Oso Astro!

This is my first post in a while, and one that, I regret to say, will not be a very happy one. But, a lot of folks have probably been thumbing around here wondering when I was gonna write something about the opening series against the Cleveland Indians. So here goes:

The Houston Astros did very well against Cy Young Award Winner, Cory Kluber, in the home opener, shutting out the tribe 2-0. The next two games in the series would prove to be not so beneficial. The Astros were shutout 2-0 in game #2, and yesterday came real close to a no hitter that was broken up, thankfully, by Jed Lowrie in the bottom of the 9th inning. The Astros now have to travel to Arlington to face the Texas Rangers for a 3 game weekend set, starting this afternoon.

The most pressing thing from all of this is that the heart of the order, the 3-4-5 hitters, have yet to get a hit on the season. Luis Valbuena has drawn some walks, and Chris Carter has made contact with some ground balls. But unfortunately, they have not been enough to get on base. Of course, someone else in the heart of the order has been having a real hard time of it to start the season.

You guessed right....our Paul Bunyan Polar Bear Popeye himself, Evan Gattis.

Serving as the team's new DH in the cleanup spot, not only does Evan not have a hit yet, or for that matter a batting average to his name, but he also has been fanned for 8 strikeouts in only 11 at bats so far this season. What was worse, and something that made my heart shatter and rip apart into a million pieces, was hearing fans at Minute Maid Park boo him back to the dugout yesterday. One thing I can say about Braves Country is they may be passionate, but never outwardly booed one particular player. (Melvin Upton Jr. being the exception.) Not to say that Astros fans should not be frustrated, but it doesn't help to make a bad situation like Gattis' worse with jeers.

Evan has told many reporters how frustrated he feels about all of this. Perhaps the pressure of batting cleanup may be the thing that is getting to him. Let's read now what he had to say:

"I've never been booed by my own fans before. It's embarrassing." he said. "I'm pretty sure I've never done [0-for-4 with four strikeouts] in my career before [Wednesday], and then two in a row. … Yeah, it's disappointing. I'm just a better hitter than what I've done so far this year. I never felt off during Spring Training, so it's hard to say," he said. "Maybe it's being amped up because they started counting. I had a good spring. I know that doesn't count. I wish it did right now. The only way is up for me."

You can also watch a video of some comments he made to Houston Chronicle Reporter, Jose de Jesus Ortiz here:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2015/04/09/the-sports-update-astros-slugger-evan-gattis-embarrassed-by-mounting-strikeouts-to-start-2015-season/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter


Another fan also blogged about the game yesterday as well, which you can read here:

http://www.astroscounty.com/2015/04/gattis-booed-by-tens-of-astros-fans.html 

Frankly, this whole scenario has left me feeling heartbroken and unwillingly helpless. I hate seeing Evan go through all this pressure and frustration. I feel like some voodoo priest or witch doctor that has it out for Evan put a curse on him to drain him of his power or slowly shrink him down to size or something like that. I know I was being a little bit Hollywood silly there, but admit it readers, you're probably thinking the same thing. And I just wish there was some way I can come up with some kind of magic formula or potion anecdote to rid Evan of this dry spell malady. I want to be able to save the hero for once.

But sadly, that isn't the kind of world we live in. And I, just like all other devoted fans of El Oso Blanco, have to sit on the sidelines and wait for what happens next. Be it good, bad or ugly. But the thing is, true fans of his will stick by him through all of the above, no matter what. I know I always have....AND I ALWAYS WILL!!!!

Go easy on him, Astros fans! His swing is there, I just know it. I believe in Evan Gattis! And many others with me believe in him as well. Don't let 3 games discourage you! He's got this!

Comments

Popular Posts