Shaping the 2016 Space Crew (And Other Observations)

Another little while since making a post, and I apologize in advanced. But luckily for you readers, it promises to be one of my best in a while.

Let's start out with some good news to announce:

1. I start a new full time traffic producer position within my company, Total Traffic and Weather Network, by way of a transfer to the hub located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. There, I will be stationed at the TXDOT facility located in Fort Worth itself,a nd have already solidified a place to live and all that jazz. I am very excited about this new opportunity and venture, and will be starting this the week after New Years while leaving for the Lone Star State on New Years weekend.

2. Building on point 1 - Just claimed my vouchers for this year's Astros Fan Fest to be held at Minute Maid Park on January 23rd. That's right H-Town, I'm coming for you and bringing my flair and pizzazz along with me!  Hope to see ya'll there!

3. At the tender deadline, your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis, was tendered a contract by the organization. Details on amount and length of time are still yet TBD, and probably will not be announced until next month when figures are exchanged. But the good news here being is that El Oso Blanco will safely be apart of next year's space crew, which as I will explain later in the post, is coming together quite nicely.

Before I begin with some of the goings on of Jeff Lunhow and company at the winter meetings, I do have a bit of irony to report. It concerns something of sensitive nature to Braves fans, but one I feel compelled to be both face-palming and giggling all at the same time. Yesterday, in a not-so-stunning twist of events, the Braves traded catcher, Christian Bethancourt, to the San Diego Padres in exchange for, wait for it....MORE PROSPECTS.

That's right ladies and gentlemen, the player touted as the "Catcher of the Future" for that organization and one that I feel was a usurper to the White Bear in the first place, just got dealt away to another team. Witnessing this first hand, at least temporarily from A-Town (Atlanta), I can't help but feel a bit of sympathy for those that still actively rooting for the Braves. 

But then again, I also can't. They had something completely good in Evan Gattis, and they let him slip through their fingers in lieu of this kid that supposedly had a cannon of an arm, but no bat to save his life. That, boys and girls, is the definition of cruel irony for you. But enough pseudo gloating and being cocky, because that's not usually how I operate. Just thought I earned it there for a tiny moment.

Let's now talk about the action at this week's winter meetings. It turned out to be a beneficial one for the Astros on two very important points of note:

1. No players were taken from them in the Rule 5 draft. They did acquire one minor league pitcher from the Yankees, right-hander Octavio Acosta, who does look promising with a heater ranging somewhere in the lower 90s.

2. The big acquisition - The Astros got closer, Ken Giles, from the Philadelphia Phillies. Really good marks across the board in his short career as a closer; 1.56 ERA (2nd only to that of a Mr. Craig Kimbrel), a 1.04 WHIP and an 11.7 K/9 rate across 115 2/3 innings.

So far, this winter has already been much more content than the last. And all things seem to be coming together nicely. It is certainly looking to be a holly jolly Christmas, for sure!




I think this pic and gif say it all! Just wish I had the technology to turn his bat into Thor's Hammer, or with the latest Star Wars craze, a light saber. Oh well....

Comments

Popular Posts