Visions of Silver Sluggers Dancing in My Head

For my last post of 2015, and final one writing from all the way over here in Atlanta, I decided that I would share a daydream that I have been experiencing a lot recently. If any of you readers are thinking that I'm going to go all Dr. Suess on this and tell you some kind of magical holiday rhyme, you might want to look elsewhere for your fix because I don't do that. I'm certainly not a "Grinch" at all when it comes to the holidays, but I draw the line at rhyming. You have to somewhere, right?

But I digress.... I've been doing some reflecting back on the past year, both in terms of what I am about to do with starting my life anew in Texas as well as the baseball that is played there in. The Houston Astros were winners of quite a few league awards for this past season, including AL Cy Young winner, Dallas Keuchel; AL Rookie of the Year, Carlos Correa; and both a gold glove and silver slugger award given to franchise second baseman, Jose Altuve. All of these awards are way more than deserving by these fine players and gentlemen.

There is something, however, in the midst of all this that has occurred to me on more than one occasion. And that is a hopeful and sheer confident feeling within me that your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis is on his way to getting himself one of these league awards at some point real soon in his career. Most specifically, his destined one: The Silver Slugger.

Now I know it would be difficult for him to get others. Four factors play into that:

1. The Gold Glove - As much support and unwavering loyalty as I give to El Oso Blanco, he is not the best defender in the world. In many cases, in fact, he is below league average for anything involving defense, so we can pretty much rule out him getting one of these, barring some unforeseen miracle of him getting enough field reps to make a comeback. Certainly would not put it past the Big White Bear. But for now, it's looking like his bat will always be the most dangerous thing about him in this game.

2. Rookie of the Year - Self-explanatory. He's far from a rookie!

3. Cy Young - Now many may not know it because they have not seen the documentary on Evan's life. But back in his young age, Evan could pitch himself pretty well. Does that mean he will actually get the chance to? Probably not. And even if he did, he would probably be so far removed from it that he may not make it to the level of a Cy Young quality. So this one is out, too.

4. MVP - I would already classify Evan as an MVP. But this award seems to be decided by the wrong people with a disgust bias against El Oso Blanco. So this one remains difficult as well. Especially, since he is in the same league as the incomparable, Mike Trout. No easy feat there.

That leaves the only other big league award left. And in all honesty, Evan has more of a chance at this thing than so many out there want to give him credit for. Or, in this particular case, take away from him. But like with most evidence I put my journalistic research skills to use and provide to my readers, the numbers on Evan's so-far-short career aren't far off:
 
366 Games Played
1,289 AB
151 Total Runs Scored
322 Total Hits
58 Doubles
12 Triples (11 just last year, same number on his jersey!)
70 Home Runs
205 RBI
73 BB
297 K's (That could certainly use some upkeep)
No stolen bases
1 time caught stealing last season
.250 Career BA
.296 OBP (Another area that could use some upkeep)
Slugging Percentage - .476 (Not superstar numbers, but still solid nonetheless)
OPS - .772

I didn't include his wins above replacement because I am heavily biased AGAINST saber-metrics. But for those dying to know, he has a 1.6 WAR average over the span of his career. Another category not of any superstar quality, but still solid for someone only about to enter only their 4th major league season.

Plenty of people out there will disagree with me on this, and it will all come as no surprise. Some will even be quick to lash out for me even suggesting it. But I truly believe, with every fiber of my being, that Evan Gattis will be awarded a Silver Slugger very soon in his career, perhaps even as soon as next season. I have faith in him, always have and always will. I just wish sometimes that more fans and media critics would see it my way that this player and man, a champion among men, is one that is destined to do so many great things. Much of which, he has already done. And he will continue to do these great things to help himself and this amazing Houston Astros ball club and organization onward to further victory in 2016 and beyond!

So it is with this thought here that I leave you, White Bear Chronicles readers. I will return after the New Year when I am in my new home in Fort Worth. But until then, A very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Best Wishes in 2016! Peace, love, and ball gloves, everyone! :)

El Oso Blanco is a Silver Slugger in the making! Everyone just needs to believe in him, as I do!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts