Neighborhood Watch

I entered 2017 feeling all kinds of excited about the upcoming baseball season and life in general. I've been planning trips to go back east towards home to see family. I've even developed new strategies for how I'm going to market my screenplays. Things were really looking up.

And then THIS appears....
No surprises, he labeled your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis as the one most likely to be traded. Here are the reasons he gave:

As much as it pains me to admit it, El Oso Blanco is who I consider most likely to be traded on the Astros roster. Like the other guys, he provides depth and veteran leadership. Unlike the other guys, I think Gattis would actually command a decent haul through trade. Gattis was very good last season; he mashed 32 home runs in just 128 games, while hitting a respectable .251. His 119 wRC+ had him as a top 30 bat in the AL. 

With Carlos Beltran and Brian McCann in the mix, Gattis will likely play less next season, and a contending team could certainly use his offensive prowess to boost their lineup. It's not like Gattis provides no value to the Astros; he will certainly play a decent amount at both catcher and DH. It's just that he could provide more value to another contending team, and thus could pull some decent value in return.

Trade meter: Very possible

Okay, let's get something straight here. What Mr. Oelman, like so many others, fail to realize is that  Evan Gattis  does have a much more significant role for this team next season than given credit for. He will continue his hybrid role as a backup catcher and occasional DH. It would be nice for him to be starter, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have a role with the team at all.

Plus Mr. Oelman, I refer you to a source much closer to the team that has already shot down the rumors of him being "shopped." MLB network's own, Brian McTaggart!
And like so many others, he uses a phrase like, "It's just that..." or "I like Gattis, BUT....," emphasis on the word BUT in that sentence. Phrases like this have daunted me my entire life. Whenever a topic is brought up, be it sports, politics or the like, the one giving the counterpoint to what I am saying always seems to slip that in. A big example of this in my personal life is the following: "I'm okay with gays. I have a gay friend. But...."

Do you see where I'm going with this, readers? Does it dawn on anyone out there how toxic these sorts of words and mindsets can be? Believe it or not, words can have more of an impact than some would expect them to. Trying to disguise your hate and nonconstructive criticism with a lying opening statements like this, followed by a "but" or an "It's just that" or "This isn't anything personal" really isn't fooling anyone!

I can keep screaming this until I run out of breath. Already, I have turned so many different shades of color, you would think that I was a horse from the Emerald City. And YES, I did just use a Wizard of Oz reference. Haters can check themselves at the door!

The point in all of this is people really need to leave  Evan Gattis  alone already. He's not going anywhere, and no team out there has anything worth a damn for the Houston Astros to ponder obtaining. The market for starting pitchers is shrinking fast! Additionally, you would need to get a league ready catcher to backup McCann, or run the risk of trotting out Centeno or one of the other minor league fellas who are clearly not ready. And no more Stassi, because his options are up!

The only ones that may have any worthwhile pitcher are non-contending teams with absolutely no shot at any kind of title. Quite frankly, it is unfair to do that to El Oso Blanco, considering how much he has busted his ass for this team. You just don't tell your club leader in home runs for the past two seasons he's been here to just scram to a team with no chance at a ring. There is no moral or ethical reason for him to keep being made to be a trade piece every two seasons.

So I continue in my quest to weed out those that would keep wanting to send the Big White Bear away. That sort of talk is an epidemic that I will continue to contain and quarantine as such. Those that think of crossing that line with me, go ahead. You will not ever silence or stop me, so long as I'm still alive and breathing. And I will continue exposing all of you critics, doubters and haters (or CDH crowd) out there as long as you still pursue to poison this sport with your filth!

Original Photo Credit: Justin Berl/Getty Images

Don't make me sick Evan Gattis on some of you in the CDH crowd! He was a pitcher in little league, and has one cannon of an arm!

Shop for official Houston Astros fan gear from Majestic, Nike and New Era at Shop.MLB.com

Comments

Popular Posts