24 Karat Magic in the Air!

As a screenwriter, the Oscars are like a second Super Bowl to me. Last night, I batted .375 (or 9-for-24) with my picks for Hollywood's top prize. Not too shabby, considering how there were a lot of surprises that came out of last night's ceremony. And we all know the big one at the end! Even with that, I still aspire to have one of my scripts made that also ultimately gets me a trip to The Red Carpet. Whether Oscars or Emmys, for that matter. God willing it will happen sooner rather than later.

But while we are still on the subject of Hollywood, and I promise I will get to baseball very soon, I have a very important request for everyone that is reading this entry. I ask that you please take the time to watch "When We Rise" on ABC all this week. It is the new miniseries by Academy Award winning screenwriter of "Milk," Dustin Lance Black, that shows the real life struggles of us in the LGBT community over the years since our movement started in 1969. And yes, notice I said us, because if you don't know about me being a proud openly gay man by now, you have been keeping your head in the sand.

But I digress. I know many of you will think that I am trying to be preachy or political. But the truth is, I'm encouraging you all to learn about something new. If that means stepping out of your usual comfort zone, than I implore you to muster up the courage to do so. There are going to be very important lessons and morals taught in this miniseries. It is an opportunity for us to really heal as a country, and the kind of stories which Hollywood and the media will continue to tell. 

Despite what many may think about how athletes are only there to play games or actors and musicians are only there to entertain us, that is far from the truth. They are human beings just like the rest of us. And as such, they are entitled to whatever platform or route they desire to take in expressing themselves. That's what makes the arts so great, and what I strive to do every day. Not to enforce my will, but to tell people that there are other real things, places, peoples and struggles outside of what they normally see everyday.

Okay, soapbox is over. Time to talk about the first Spring Training games for the Houston Astros. Baseball IS why you are here, after all. They lost a routing to the Detroit Tigers 11-4 on Saturday. However, on Sunday, they etched out their first win against the Atlanta Braves 3-2. Max Stassi was the hero of the game with the go-ahead two-run home run in the bottom of the 8th inning.

Your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis, got it started by serving as DH yesterday, and going 1-for-4 with a game-tying RBI single. So a good victory all around for the spacemen. They also had another game against the New York Mets in Port Saint Lucie that ended just a little while ago. More good news, they won 5-2! All three teams the Astros have faced so far will be met again in the regular season as well as in Grapefruit League.

Baseball America also recently ranked the Astros as the #3 overall farm system in the league. This also took into account that Alex Bregman and Joseph Musgrove are now slated to be with the big league club on opening day. Considering where they were just a few years back, the spacemen are gonna keep on going even further than the butterflies in the sky. Because, let's face it. They can go twice as high!

Original Photo Credit: MLB.com

And the award for goofiest, albeit most awesome, player on the team goes to....THIS GUY!!!!
Shop for official Houston Astros fan gear from Majestic, Nike and New Era at Shop.MLB.com

Comments

Popular Posts