When We Dream in Gold

Another Academy Awards is in the books, and it was quite the night. For those of you trying to keep up with my predictions from Sunday night, here were the categories that I predicted, with my correct ones in bold:

Best Costume Design: Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Makeup/Hairstyling: Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Visual Effects; Mad Max; Fury Road

Note to self: See Mad Max:Fury Road

Best Original Score: The Hateful Eight from Ennio Morricone
Best Original Song: "The Writing's on the Wall" from Spectre, performed by Sam Smith
Best Animated Feature: Disney/Pixar's "Inside Out"

My personal favorite categories in writing:

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short
Best Original Screenplay: Spotlight

And the big ones:

Best Director: Alejandro G. Inarritu for "The Revenant"
Best Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander for "The Danish Girl"
Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance for "Bridge of Spies" (Stallone got robbed, IMHO!)
Best Lead Actress: Brie Larson for "Room"
Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio for "The Revenant" (FINALLY!)

And the holy grail of film awards - Best Picture: SPOTLIGHT

It was a pretty decent night all around, minus the couple of surprises and the overly-charged racism of Chris Rock's humor. Though to be fair, it was intended to shed light while keeping to good taste. Didn't completely succeed, but oh well.

That brings my Hollywood "batting average" for the night to 9-for-14, or a .643 BA. What, readers? You're surprised I incorporated baseball and movies into the same post? Come on, now! You know me better than that already. But batting a .643 is none too shabby for someone still attempting to break into the biz. It's gonna happen, I just need to rethink my strategy.

Not unlike this team and its players, Evan included dreaming of the gold of those World Series rings, however, so too do I with the possibility of the coveted gold statue of Hollywood glory. Gold seems to be the aura color of what dreams are made of. But it's having a dream, and the guts to pursue it at all costs is what helps me relate to Evan the most, and why I feel a great connection to him. Too many out there want to label me, make dark innuendos to my very light-hearted fan support and take things away from me. I'm sure many people were laughing at Evan when he told people that he was gonna make it to the majors. But like Evan, I'm not gonna give up. I'm gonna let the haters be my motivators. And when I succeed like he has, those haters' powers will quickly diminish.

But let's get back on the sports track, shall we? Thursday is the first game of Grapefruit League, and newcomer, Doug Fister is set to pitch in that very first game. Excitement should be running high for that, as Fister is expected to make a big comeback in 2016 from what he did previously with the Washington Nationals.

And these fellas continue to get ready for that game and the coming season. Including, your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis. I was even able to find some pics from the web that show exactly how he is contributing, in light of the surgery rehab. Big props to Karen Warren and the good folks over at the Houston Chronicle for posting these throughout the past couple of weeks:

          Evan driving a golf cart around the practice fields during his first days at camp.

      He even had time to wave and chat with some of the fans as he drove by!


    Evan taking live batting practice the other day.


The bear will be back a lot sooner than people think!


                              His hoodie says it all!!!!


The bear has worked extremely hard at camp already, and is gonna shock everyone when he is ready for Opening Day!!!!

P.S. - Don't forget to go vote in the Super Tuesday elections if registered, no matter what party or candidate you support. You still have a few hours to let your voices be heard!




Comments

Popular Posts