The Record Breaking Formula


2016 = 3 (14+15+23)2/32

Okay, so this formula doesn't exactly add up on a mathematical level. The second half actually adds up to 253.5, which pretty closely mimics the .251 batting average he closed the season out with. But the truth is, it wasn't really intended to be. It actually just a for fun equation to show exactly what kind of year your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis had. I also intend to explain each variable of this formula and their significance from this past season. Hint: Not to brag, but the greatest common factor of these variables is me! 

3 represents the number of Evan's home runs I was able to be present to witness. Here is me capturing home run number 14 (the first parenthesis variable) live at my first game at Minute Maid Park:


And in that same game, which happened to be his gnome night, he also hit this second bomb, number 15 (the second parenthesis variable) on the season, in his next at-bat against Angels righty, Jered Weaver:



Being a resident of Fort Worth ( I know, Rangers Country. Yuck!), I had to go attend a game at Globe Life Park when the Astros came to town for a game on September 3rd. Boy, am I glad I did! Not only did I get to run into Evan before the game (FYI, Big thanks to Evan, if you're reading this!), but he also hit two singles AND long ball number 23 (the third parenthesis variable) on the season:



So that leaves the exponent of 2 and the dividend of 32. Well, those are both simple. The exponent of 2 is the number of games I was able to attend live in 2016. The 32 represents the single season record breaking and club leading home runs that El Oso Blanco put up for the Houston Astros. If that doesn't help the front office of the organization both keep and extend the Big White Bear, I honestly don't know what else will. Hopefully, certain folks reading this will heed exactly what I'm posting and arguing for and why.

But wait, math and physics fans! I came up with a second record breaking 2016 formula!:

2016 = 119 (3+3.85)/(.319+.508)x 8.5 

In this equation, the first variable is his wRC+ (or weighted runs created plus of 119) multiplied by his career high variable of WAR (or wins above replacement of 3) plus his career high P/PA (pitches per plate appearance of 3.85). Then, that number is divided by his career high OPS (or on base of .319 plus slugging percentage of .508) and multiplied by his career high walk percentage of 8.5. The result of this equation = 115.96. Divide the first equation by the second equation, and the remaining number of 2016 is 2.19. If you were to then multiply that number by 3, or the number of Evan's 32 home runs I got to witness up close, you would have 6.78, or a number fairly close to the WAR that Evan Gattis has accumulated over his career at around 6.3 across his four seasons in the big leagues.

I know that many of you out there are having a field day, wondering how I come up with this being that I am not a statistician. Well, as stated before, these equations are just my fun and geeky way of showing how record breaking the 2016 season really was for Evan Gattis. And despite the Astros not making the playoffs, he and the other players on the team have a lot to be proud of. The biggest of which being the fight they kept charging through, even in the face of some sheer adversity.

We'll have to wait and see what kind of equation I can formulate for 2017. But I have a feeling, it's going to be quite a substantial one!

    Original Photo Credit: Bob Levey of Getty Images

Class Dismissed....FOR NOW!!!!

Shop for official Houston Astros fan gear from Majestic, Nike and New Era at Shop.MLB.com

Comments

Popular Posts