Every Day is a Winding Road....

I had a bit of a journalistic fire to put out yesterday. Thankfully, it got taken care of, minus a minor punishment I had to endure for forgetting to citing an original source. Lesson here, kids: ALWAYS CITE! But enough about my troubles. You all are here to read about baseball, and I plan to provide you with such indulgence.

The good news of today is that pitchers and catchers are due to report to their respective camps. That includes your very own Houston Astros. Some have been there since as early as Monday. Even lineup hitters like Colby Rasmus, who aren't even due to be at camp until Tuesday, have already arrived in Kissimmee at Oceola County Stadium. This will be the final Spring Training grapefruit league pre-season played at that field, as the team will be moving into a new joint facility with the Washington Nationals in West Palm, FL starting next season in 2017. So this particular Spring Training may be a bit of an emotional one of sorts.

Speaking of emotions running high, your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis has also arrived in Florida already to begin his rehab and recovery back to baseball activities. Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle even had this article about Evan's arrival at camp. I highly recommend reading that whole thing. But for those short on time, here are some quotes from our champion himself:


On a frightening looking medical device attached to his lower abdomen: "It's just a drain," Gattis said. "It's to prevent like a hemotoma (a collection of blood). I've had problems in the past."

On the process of recovery: "The incisions do (hurt) every once in a while, but any time you have an incision, I feel like there's some numbness and I feel like it's just feeling coming back," Gattis said. "So it's a start and everything's good. I think the first week is really the most crucial, but after a week everything kind of gets more solid."

On a timetable for resuming training: "I don't want to limit myself on the time line," Gattis said. "I think it's so early. ... I guess I could be hitting off a tee or doing light baseball activity, light throwing, I think in possibly three weeks or sooner. But like I said, I really don't know."

His thoughts on the timing of the surgery: "The timing sucks but I'm glad the recovery's not long," Gattis said. "It's not like I blew anything out. I've been feeling, I felt it off and on for a long time. Even in the season last year and the two before that."

On his new salary and contract: "Very happy with the outcome," Gattis said. "I think both sides did good."

It's always a relieving and insightful thing to hear word from Evan himself. However, learning about that device he's having to carry around and the occasional pain that he still has to endure is always scary and sad all at the same time. The faith that El Oso Blanco will make a full recovery will always be there, especially for me. Still, I just really hate that he has to be going through all of this. No one likes to see anyone they hold in high regard suffer through something as complicated, painful and frightening as this appears to be.

So as we all wait in agony at all possible outcomes from this, with everyday really being a winding road as Sheryl Crow so infamously points out, I hope you readers out there will continue to join me in wishing nothing but the absolute best for our Big White Bear. As I've stated many times before, this game does not feel the same without him. Games will indeed go on, and we will continue to root for our team and its players like always. But Evan's presence in a lineup, clubhouse and dugout is as big and warm-hearted as he is. And that's really something needed in America's pastime right now.

Houston Astros designated hitter Evan Gattis (11) in the dugout during a rain delay before the start of the third inning of the start Game One of the American League Division Series at Kauffman Stadium on Thursday, Oct. 8, 2015, in Kansas City. ( Karen Warren / Houston Chronicle ) Photo: Karen Warren, Houston Chronicle
Photo Credit: Karen Warren of the Houston Chronicle

        We all eagerly await your return, Evan! Get well soon!




Comments

Popular Posts