A "Fest"-ivus For The Rest of Us!

It just wouldn't be Christmas without me referencing the greatest episode of one of the greatest television shows of all time, Seinfeld. But honestly, readers, did you expect anything different from me? Not to say that I don't have a healthy spontaneity side to me, but I usually reserve that for when the time is right. I happen to believe that time will come soon enough.

But back to business now. The Houston Astros announced yesterday that vouchers for Fan Fest 2017 are now available to the general public. Good News: I will certainly be claiming my free admission entry as I plan to make the drive down 45 to attend as many of the wonderful sights, sounds and smells of H-Town that I can muster.

Bad News: As I'm writing this, the autograph sessions are sold out. 600 spots among 4 different sessions certainly filled up quickly in 24 hours. At the very least, this will give me a chance to rub elbows or take pictures with as many from the team and media that I can. I'll also have plenty of time to attend the numerous forums that will be scheduled for that day.

I will not lose hope. I still firmly believe in finding silver linings through every cloud that floats through life. For you see, readers. I have a backup plan and trick up my sleeve. Though I cannot divulge all of the details for confidentiality reasons, I shall see where it takes me. Suffice it to say, my experiences as a writer and reporter will come greatly into play.

One recent experience, however, that keeps frustrating me is reading tweets such as this:
Let me make this clear, yet again, to folks out there like Mr. Samih. EVAN GATTIS IS UNTOUCHABLE!!!! I have highlighted the reasons for this many times. But as a teacher having to deal with stubborn kids that don't want to learn the material, let's go over this again:

1. The acquisition of Brian McCann was to replace former Astros free agent, now newly signed Twins starting catcher, Jason Castro. Best of luck to Castro in Minnesota, but his departure was why McCann was needed.

2. Gattis is backing up McCann at catcher and DHing. 

3. The reason for #2 is not one catcher in the Astros' farm system is even remotely ready for the major league level yet. 

4. Gattis has been the club leader in home runs now for the past two seasons that he has been in Houston.

5. Neither Gattis nor the team seem to want to part ways any time soon. And that is, despite what some may think, a really good thing!

Pay attention to the notes, class. There will be an exam on this later!

I kid about the last part, of course. But fan boys of other teams need to be put on notice that El Oso Blanco is not for sale. Never in my life have I seen any team trade away a player whose club option was exercised. Nor, do I expect someone like Jeff Lunhow or the front office of the Astros organization to buckle that trend.

The only need the team is really pushing to fill is a starting pitcher. And they have the talent down in the farm system in order to get just that. Not to mention, the numerous rookies from last season in players like Hernandez, Kemp, Reed, and Musgrove. Though I would try and hang onto Musgrove, the others could be up for the trading block.

But not Evan Gattis. It is clear how much of an impact player he is to this roster and city. Otherwise, Lunhow and the team would not have picked him up if they had even a shred of doubt about what the Big White Bear brings on the field, off the field and in the clubhouse. They know how needed he is for the spacemen to make that all important push for the playoffs. And quite possibly, the world series title!

So keep dreaming on, fans from other teams. You just can't have our bear.

Original Photo Credit: astros.com

And for that, Evan's gonna favor us with a Christmas dance! Taken from last year's fan fest. I was there to see him dance live. It was amazing!!!!

Shop for official Houston Astros fan gear from Majestic, Nike and New Era at Shop.MLB.com

Comments

Popular Posts