THE BEAR IS BACK!!!!

GM Jeff Lunhow gave word to Houston press that an announcement would be made today regarding the two players on the roster with options. One of those players just happened to be your people's champion and mine, Evan Gattis. Naturally, I was quite nervous all the way through the night, and even in to some of today when I had to work a split shift to cover the morning drive for my counterpart that needed a day off. After completing the first half, I went home to watch some of the Cubs victory parade and sneak in a quick nap.

When I awoke to check the Twitter feed on my phone, I instantly found these two tweets from MLB.com's Brian McTaggart and Fox26 Sports Director, Mark Berman:



To give you some idea of my facial reaction seeing these tweets on my feed, I'll allow this gif of Maleficent to illustrate:


I believe a somewhat sinister smile is in order, at least for those Astros opponents out there. The other player with an option was reliever Pat Neshek. Not only was his option declined, but he has been traded to the Philadelphia Phillies for a player to be named later. The White Bear Chronicles wishes him all the best! 

Now there is still no word yet on the exact role Evan Gattis will be in, since Jason Castro will more than likely be extended a qualifying offer from the team before the free agency deadline. Whether or not he will accept and stay or decline and elect to become a free agent still remains to be seen. Should he accept the QO, Evan will most likely stay in his backup catcher/designated hitter hybrid role. 

However, if Castro does elect to become a free agent, this could set up Gattis to become next year's starter. That is assuming, of course, that no other viable free agent catcher on the market will fit into the team's plans. It will all be up to the front office and Jeff Lunhow to scope things out for the rest of the winter.

While on the subject, I would like to speak directly to Mr. Lunhow. (Jeff, if it's okay to call you that.) I genuflect and offer my sincerest and heartfelt thank you on behalf of all Astros fans and die hard fans of Evan Gattis, such as you well know myself to be. Your decision to keep El Oso Blanco on for another year, and hopefully longer if all works out, will not be one that you or this ball club regrets. Far from it! You will see seriously low risk and high rewards, as I have mentioned earlier.

So again Mr. Lunhow, thank you! Fans, let's celebrate!

Original Photo Credit: Bob Levey of Getty Images

High fives for El Oso Blanco coming back!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts