Fueling a Holiday Hybrid

Word came just this morning that the physical that was pending for free agent outfielder, Josh Reddick has come back clean. The 4 year, $52 million dollar deal is officially a go! Congrats to Josh and the Astros for getting this done so expeditiously and effectively. Knowing that all bells and whistles have been taken care of is a very good feeling.

Speaking of bells, tomorrow is Thanksgiving. It is the official start to the holiday season, and my first where I will not be anywhere near my east coast family. It will feel very awkward and lonely for me, but I am still very thankful that they are still around, and that they continue to love and support me everyday. Other LGBT folks like me don't always have families to go home to because they are not accepted by their families for who they are and whom they love. But that's a story for another time, as I keep fighting to make things in my life work out for the best. My heart is with all of those who can't go home tomorrow, or at all during the holidays, for whatever the reason may be.

However, I have so many other things that I feel thankful for this holiday season. My health, my career, and any day I am able to wake up and greet the sun is always a good day, regardless of any challenges that I may face. And it is those things that keep me going forward and gives my life a sense of fulfilling purpose.

Another thing, or I should say person, that I am thankful for is our real people's champion, Evan Gattis. I'm incredibly thankful for the times that I have gotten to meet and run into him, as well as the connections I am continuing to foster into current and potential relationships with him, his family, and soon-to-be wife, Kim. My greatest hope is that the new year will bring new opportunities to keep making those connections blossom and bloom!

Evan's hard work ethic and openness to the fans is a true breath of fresh air these days. Not just to baseball, but to sports in general. It's an industry where too many athletes get caught up in their own successes that they let it get to their heads. A disconnect then happens between said athletes and the fans that got them to where they are in the first place.

Evan Gattis, thankfully, is the exact opposite of those other athletes. He proves that every single day of his life. I am incredibly grateful that Jeff Lunhow and the Houston Astros organization have bolstered his continued success by not trading him off or putting him on waivers. Picking up his option for next season was not only a smart move, but will be a hugely beneficial one. What was even better was how quickly it was done after the World Series. Further indicating how valuable El Oso Blanco is to any team willing to give him the opportunity. Good thing it's still with the Astros!

Not only is Gattis' worth proven off the field, but shows every single day of the MLB season on the field as well. Even in areas he may come up short in, Evan busts his chops to always get better. THAT is the mark of someone that is a true champion in every since of the word. He doesn't need the hardware to prove it, though he hungers for it just as much as any true player of the game.

Now it is true, he won't be starting catcher as originally hoped with the recent acquisition of Brian McCann from the Yankees. Evan figures to return to his backup catcher/DH hybrid role from last season again in the next year. But that is actually a good thing. BMac and El Oso Blanco will be reunited once again, and they could actually both split the DH and catching time equally, depending on the circumstances.

Hybridization = Versatility 

Here's My Prediction/Hope for 2017: McCann will easily catch roughly 90 games, Gattis the other 70 or so.Whomever is not behind the plate will serve as team DH. Because of this, I see no need for the team to sign one or any combination thereof with Edwin Encarnacion, Mike Napoli or Carlos Beltran. Yuli Guriell can man 1st base with no major problems defensively, and gives you what you need with the bat for that position.

There is still a lot of winter and off season left for the Astros and the entire league. Only time will tell what other kind of moves are actually made. But what is for sure, these spacemen are still shaping up to fly high in 2017!

Image result for turkey emojis


To all of you readers out there: 



Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 

Original Photo Credit: Zack Hample

El Oso Blanco will certainly "feast" on some pitches next season!

20% off + Free Shipping over $50 at MLBShop.com

Comments

Popular Posts