Am I Alone In This? It Feels That Way Sometimes

The anticipation of this off season can get a little overwhelming to me personally at times. On may way into either of my jobs these days, as I now have two, I pass by Turner Field on the interstates. Usually, I get very excited passing by this place. Nowadays, I am left with a very sinking feeling of what may transpire very soon.

Sure, John Hart sugar coats all of his interviews to say that Evan Gattis won't be traded unless they are "blown away by another team's deal." But how can we be sure the truth is being told when not a single person, even beat reporters, can find any evidence? The not knowing is the aspect of all of this that continues to frighten me, and even sometimes rob me of my sleep, on a daily basis.

Often times, I read comments on fan message boards (like I really shouldn't), and I see some of the most awful things written about Evan being old or fat, or a personal favorite "Not a long term solution for this ball club." But Why? What could possibly make El Oso Blanco not be a long term solution for any club, let alone the very club that found him in the first place? Two seasons, and we just give up on him like this? What possible justice could the Braves have for such a foolish and compulsively gullible move such as this?

The only answer is supposedly Christian Bethancourt. A kid that, to me, still leaves a ton of questions about his ability to handle the big leagues. Quite frankly, on a personal note, I see him as a usurper. He has spent close to 8 years in the minor league system, longer than most spend before getting their first big call, and NOW we decide to give him a shot at the expense of Evan? On what universe does that make any logical or compassionate sense?

Some Braves fans have gone so far as to call me vain, selfish, and even possessive of Evan. They couldn't be farther from the truth. This goes beyond what I want. This is about having to see some Braves fans and their kids wearing the polar bear caps having to deal with any news of El Oso Blanco going away. The very player that gets fans excited and hopeful that the Braves can have a shot at something greater in baseball is also the same player that is being targeted to be plucked away from the very team and city/community that found him in the first place; Braves Country. No one would take such news gracefully, not even the cynics. There is also the fear of Evan forgetting about Braves Country and vice versa. That fear is most likely irrational, but lingering nonetheless.

So maybe I'm not as alone in this as I keep allowing myself to be led to believe by others. But the facts still remain; Evan Gattis has been one of the best things to come out of the Atlanta Braves in a long time. He puts up the numbers you need on the field, while additionally giving you his all off the field. Take him out of the equation, and you may as well say goodbye to ticket sales, merchandise, autograph appearance crowds, etc. And honestly John Hart, do really think THAT will be good for your business?

Let me also make another thing clear to those cynics and doubters that may read this: I am not a typical fan boy, nor do I want to be labeled or remembered as such. The difference between me and a typical fan boy is that fan boys usually get their fill once they meet somebody once. It isn't like that with me for one very solid reason: I actually want to contribute to this man's success in baseball and beyond. I have my ways on how, but that's for me to know, and you to find out. This blog is a start, but I certainly don't plan to end it here, regardless of what uniform Evan puts on next season.

I will continue defending Evan Gattis with every ounce of breath I have left in my body. I will strive day in and day out to ward of any haters, doubters, critics, and cynics from ever trying to bring him down with their hateful, overly critical, and often times cruel, language. As I've said before that BEARS repeating (pun very much intended), sometimes even heroes need saving. Evan may not think or believe he is, only furthering his humbleness, but that is what he has become to a lot of people. The inspiration he has provided to this sport and to his fan base cannot, and should not, be denied. And if I can provide even being a metaphorical, and perhaps one day a literal side kick to him, then so be it!

Nothing is worth sending El Oso Blanco away....NOTHING!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts