I Have Serious Gattitude (And For Good Reason)

So many fans on Braves message boards keep thinking that when I mention Evan Gattis' fan base, that I am only speaking for myself. Such blatant ignorance is why I had to start a blog such as this, to defend all of the good things Evan Gattis has done, and in my humble opinion, will continue to do, especially for Braves Country. To show folks exactly why Evan Gattis needs to remain a Brave. Some of the most common questions on Braves threads that I get from other fans include the following:

1. Don't You Want Evan Gattis to Have Success?: SERIOUSLY?! It is for that very reason that I am coming to his defense online and through what little media outlets I have to do so. To assume that he would not continue to be a success on the Braves staff at catcher or outfield, or my personal favorite, that he is only good enough to be a DH in the American League, is more than an absurd way of thinking. Gattis is an impact player. Always has been, and always will be. His value is, and will be, unlike any other player in the league. And you can take that statement to the bank, and cash it out to pay Evan what he rightly deserves.

2. Doesn't Christian Bethancourt Deserve a Chance to Play at the Big League Level?: Last I checked, he played 35 games in the bigs this past season, a third of the amount of games Gattis started. In that time, he has made a ton of mental mistakes, giving up more passed balls and almost as many throwing errors, and allowing more wild pitches to get by him. He still cannot frame pitches nearly as well as Gattis, and gives off a very egotistical vibe in interviews. All while being hailed as "the catcher of the future for the Braves" and a "defensive gem." Yeah, HARDLY!

Oh, and don't even get me started on the lack of offensive power or production he possesses. He is a singles hitter at best who might be able to pull of a yearly .240 batting average. Might be alright for contact and getting on base, which don't get me wrong, the Braves do need to work on that approach, and even Gattis is guilty of that. But Bethancourt's bat will hardly ever be a difference maker in a future Braves game.

Please don't mistake this as Bethancourt hatred, because that is far from the truth. I mean, I do follow him on Twitter, and he seems to be good friends with Evan, which any friend of Evan is a friend of mine. And Bethancourt does have most of the skills it takes. I just think it is rash and downright impulsive and gullible to suggest so quickly that he take over in Evan's place when Evan had only one full year as starter that saw him with some bad luck health set backs....

Which leads me to the third most question I get asked by Braves fans....

3. You Really Think Gattis' Health Will Hold Up For Enough Years to Keep Him a Brave? The answer to this is, without a doubt, YES! I think fans assume too much that because of some health setbacks that, all of a sudden, it indicates a trend. I never have, and never will, believe that. Especially, as it relates to Evan. Yes, he started late, and is not getting any younger. But seriously, the age myth is WAY overrated. I especially get tired of the "Glass Man Gatty" and "Oso Long in the Tooth" comments I see on these boards. It's sickening and downright rude!

So yes, I will continue to let my Gattitude show and, if need be, keep getting in touch with my inner bear bitch self. If anyone doesn't like it, and wants to keep downplaying this player and man that gives you 110% both on AND off the field, then you all can KISS MY BEAR CLAW!!!!

No, not THIS bear claw, but you can see where I'm going with this.

Comments

Popular Posts